Director of Nursing
Sunnyside Communities has retained LeaderStat Premier to assist them in identifying an experienced Director of Nursing to lead their Sunnyside Campus. Located on over one-hundred acres in Harrisonburg, Sunnyside offers multiple living options in cottages, villas and apartments surrounded by breath-taking mountain views, vivid landscapes and award-winning amenities.
The primary responsibilities of the Director of Nursing (DON) are to assume authority, responsibility and accountability for the delivery of nursing services in the facility. Additional areas of responsibility are Managing and Developing Staff, Resident Care, Quality Assurance and Assessment and Regulatory Compliance.
- Education and/or experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Nursing, BSN preferred.
- Must have current RN license through Virginia Board of Nursing.
- Gerontological Nursing Certification preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of state and federal regulations and the ability to ensure compliance.
- Demonstrate high degree of leadership, organizational ability and communication skills.
- Knowledge of long-term care management, policies, budgeting, personnel management and census development is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in nursing administration and supervision required.
- Current CPR certification or ability to obtain; CPR instructor a plus.
- Good time management; ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail and having good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently as part of a team, exercise flexibility, initiative, problem-solving, critical thinking, good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work with confidential information and maintain its’ integrity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to read and comprehend all types of written materials, strong phone etiquette and ability to speak with appropriate grammar.
- Strong customer service skills; maintain a hospitality approach when engaging all individuals.
- Conduct employee meetings monthly and as needed. - Keep employees informed of upcoming events, policy changes, etc.
- Coordinate interdepartmental work requirements and maintain strong working relationships. - Respond to residents appropriately within a reasonable time period. Attend management meetings. Help to ensure a positive working environment for staff.
- Maintain positive relationship with general resident population. Responsible for responding appropriately to resident comments, questions, and complaints. - Respond to residents appropriately within a reasonable time period. Make routine rounds throughout healthcare. Investigate concerns as soon as possible. Educate and support staff with difficult situations.
- Analyze, comprehend and implement Sunnyside’s policies and procedures. - Interpret policy and apply consistently and appropriately. Review policies and procedures; validate these remain current and up to date with standards and regulations.
- Interact with residents and employees and have good working relationship with each. - Learn resident and employee names and call them by name when speaking with them. Be approachable and easy to communicate with.
- Maintain accurate records of department purchases so that all monies are accounted for. - Develop, implement and monitor departmental budget. Submit capital requests to Executive Director or Administrator of Health Services for review. Process all purchases with appropriate paperwork for approval, payment, etc.
- Ensure survey book is up to date and available for surveyors when they arrive. Continually educate staff.
We welcome your confidential expressions of personal interest and nominations of qualified colleagues. Inquiries and questions concerning this search may be directed to Zach Collins.
Zach Collins, Executive Search Consultant