Allied Health Travel Jobs: How To Get Licensed

If you're considering a travel allied health job opportunity, it's important to know the specific licensing and certification requirements that come with it.  Keep scrolling to find a comprehensive list of allied health licensure resources.

Radiologic Technologists (RT)

Radiologic Technologists (RTs), also known as radiographers, perform medical exams using X-rays on patients to create images of specific parts of the body. Radiographers fall under the umbrella term - Medical Imaging.

A Radiologic Technologist is more commonly referred to as Rad Tech or X-Ray Tech. Radiology professionals can hold a variety of titles, based on their advanced certifications. These include:

  • X-Ray Tech
  • Mammography Technologist, or Mammography/Mammo Tech
  • Computed Tomography Technologist, or CT Tech
  • Interventional Radiology Technologist, or IR Tech
  • Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist, or MRI Tech
  • Nuclear Medicine Technologist, or Nuclear Med Tech

ARRT - Your Ultimate Resource
If you're considering a Travel Rad Tech job, you can find everything you need on the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) website, including:

Travel Radiology Jobs and Licensing
To qualify as a Travel Radiology Tech, a certification from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) is required. Similarly, Travel CT Techs must have their certification in radiology as well as computed tomography, since CT is an additional credential that requires further education. 

Certification for MRI Techs is available either through ARRT or the American Registry of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists (ARMRIT).

Nuclear Med Techs should be certified through the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB). You can find Nuclear Med Tech state licensure requirements by jurisdiction here.

Curious about the difference between Nuclear Med Techs and Radiologic Technologists? Allied Health Schools gives a side-by-side comparison.

Licensing By State
Licensure requirements for radiology professionals vary by state. Most states require radiologic technologists to be licensed and/or certified. Conversely, few states require licensure for MRI Techs.

The American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) provides a comprehensive resource page for individual state licensure requirements:

Be sure to check with your recruiter about any state-specific requirements before accepting a travel radiology contract. Many healthcare staffing agencies will reimburse candidates for licensure fees. Of course, licensure and certification costs will vary depending on location.

Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRT)

Respiratory therapists are trained to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have trouble with breathing. They often serve as members of cardiac arrest and trauma admission teams in acute care settings. They can also be found in pediatric settings due to children being more prone to asthma.

Travel RRT Jobs Requirements
To be considered for a travel RRT contract, completion of respiratory therapy program from an accredited institution is required. Additional certification is required for all respiratory therapists. The two types of certifications, offered through the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC), are Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).

Some healthcare staffing agencies require at least 6 months of experience. However, we've found that most agencies prefer one year or more, typically in an acute care setting.

Respiratory Therapy Licensing By State
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a license is required in every state except Alaska. However, each state can have its own licensing requirements. Unlike with the nurse licensure compact agreement, this means that RRTs will have to apply to each state where they want to work.

Want to know the respiratory therapist licensure requirements for an individual state? The American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) has you covered:

Top-Paying States for RRT Jobs
Curious about which states have the highest employment levels of Respiratory Therapists? Check out this map from BLS so that you can determine where you might find your next RRT travel job. According to the map, states along the west coast (from Washington down to California) and in the northeast (New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and New Jersey) had the highest annual wages for RRTs. 


Diagnostic Medical Sonography

Sonographers and Ultrasound Techs use specialized imaging equipment and soundwaves to form images of the body. These non-invasive procedures play an important role in helping to narrow a patient's diagnosis and get them connected with proper treatments.

  • CT Sonographer 
  • Echocardiograph Technologist, or Echo Tech
  • Cardiovascular Technologist, or CVT
  • OB Sonographer
  • Neuro Sonographer
  • Mammographer

Travel Ultrasound Tech Requirements
To become an Ultrasound Tech, an associate's degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography from an accredited program is required.  After successfully completing an accredited program, individuals may need to work toward additional certification via the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) or the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (S-AART).

Travel sonographers are required to have a minimum of one year of post-graduate experience. They also should be registered through one of the following:

  •  American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
  • American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
  •  Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)

Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Find additional information on diagnostic medical sonography, including occupational outlook, entry-level education, median pay and more:  


Sterile Processing Technician (SPT)

Sterile Processing Techs focus on properly sterilizing, cleaning, and storing medical supplies. They can have the following job titles or additional certifications:

  • Central Service Technician (CST)
  • Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST)
  • Certified Surgical Technologist
  • OR Tech
  • Surgical Assistant

Travel Sterile Processing Tech Requirements
To become a travel SPT or CST, active certification  or credentials from one of the following is required:

Some states have regulations governing the work of surgical assistants and surgical technologists. For more information, contact your state licensing agency. 

Certification Renewal
Your initial sterile processing certification is valid for five years. Professionals should download their recertification packet directly from the CBSPD website. This should be completed at least one month before the official certification expiration date. 

Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Find additional details on sterile processing and surgical technologist jobs, including occupational outlook, entry-level education, median pay and more:

Still have questions about travel allied health jobs? Learn more about contract length, licensure and certifications, compliance requirements, and how to find a contract on our Allied Health 101 page.



Contact Us

LeaderStat specializes in direct care staff, interim leadership, executive recruitment, travel nursing and consulting for healthcare organizations nationwide.